Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Super Intelligent



This study by Virgil Griffith has been floating around the Internet the past couple days. I read the blurbs at Pitchfork and The Wall Street Journal and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. He has a study using books too but I haven't checked it out yet. Anyway, I thought I would post this even though it's pointless and not entirely surprising. Based on a number of factors, it makes sense that Lil Wayne fans might have lower SAT scores than people who listen to Beethoven. It's mildly interesting in a conversation piece way, but there are obvious "flaws" in the study which I won't get into because it's not important and Griffith is aware of them anyway.

Not to be too judgmental but the guy comes off as a "douche nerd." I guess that's to be expected because he's a hacker and hackers are attention-starved, egomaniacs in general. Beyond that, he's "actually a little embarrassed" by his 1370 SAT score(!) and when addressing the whole "correlation is not causation" issue with this study, he concluded with the word, "duh." I don't mean to be harsh or hypocritical, but smart people can be very smug.

No comments: