Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'm Anomie. I, Mon Ami



Demetri Martin's DVD and new show are both very funny. However, it wouldn't shock me at all to find someone who didn't think he was funny. I'm guessing he could get at least a chuckle out of most people but his stuff is subtle and nerdy, in a way. It reminds me a bit of FOTC in that it's quirky and cheeky. He blends drawings, charts, figures, diagrams, skits, songs and multi-instrumentation with your basic stand-up comedy. And on top of that, I just found this gem:

'"Dammit I'm Mad"

Dammit I’m mad.
Evil is a deed as I live.
God, am I reviled? I rise, my bed on a sun, I melt.
To be not one man emanating is sad. I piss.
Alas, it is so late. Who stops to help?
Man, it is hot. I’m in it. I tell.
I am not a devil. I level “Mad Dog”.
Ah, say burning is, as a deified gulp,
In my halo of a mired rum tin.
I erase many men. Oh, to be man, a sin.
Is evil in a clam? In a trap?
No. It is open. On it I was stuck.
Rats peed on hope. Elsewhere dips a web.
Be still if I fill its ebb.
Ew, a spider… eh?
We sleep. Oh no!
Deep, stark cuts saw it in one position.
Part animal, can I live? Sin is a name.
Both, one… my names are in it.
Murder? I’m a fool.
A hymn I plug, deified as a sign in ruby ash,
A Goddam level I lived at.
On mail let it in. I’m it.
Oh, sit in ample hot spots. Oh wet!
A loss it is alas (sip). I’d assign it a name.
Name not one bottle minus an ode by me:
“Sir, I deliver. I’m a dog”
Evil is a deed as I live.
Dammit I’m mad.'

See what I mean? He's funny and creative but maybe not for everyone. Don't get it? Read about it at Paste Magazine.

No comments: