Thursday, February 19, 2009

Take A Good Hard Look



Like I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm probably going to be catching up to "old" stuff over the next couple weeks (or at least posting things a few days late) so here, watch this video again (for the fourth or fifth time, possibly).

"I'm On A Boat" has been riding the Internet waves for the past week or so. I thought about skipping over it but I feel the need to touch on one key point that all the blog posts and Incredibad reviews have overlooked. Yes, similar to other Lonely Island songs, it's kind of really great. What sets this apart though, is that it's almost a real rap song. Replace a couple of the cutesy, silly lines and a few scenes in the video with something slightly less ridiculous and what do you get? I think you get a song that wouldn't be out of place in the current hip hop world. With Lonely Island songs like "Dick In The Box" and "Jizzed In My Pants", the lyrics are so goofy and out of bounds that it's easy to see that they are jokes. The lyrics in "I'm On A Boat", while still goofy, are actually not too different from the over-the-top bragging in several recently popular rap songs. Rapping about boats has been done time and time again. If this was a song by T-Pain (who is a cartoon character anyway) and say, E-40 or Luda or Three 6 Mafia (obvious stylistic similarities to Three 6, no?), it might only be funny because the rappers were actually being serious. As it is, "I'm On A Boat" is definitely outlandish but then again, so are a lot of rap songs that top the charts.

No comments: