Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Don't Know What You Heard

I want to talk about soccer right now. While Arsenal have managed to string together a "nice" run of unbeaten-ness, it includes three straight 0-0 league draws. For one of the so-called "Big 4" teams that's desperately trying to get back to 4th place, that's unacceptable. Without going into any details or analysis, let's just say a lot of work needs to be done. Even with all the talk about how center midfield is the major problem, we haven't been scoring many goals (aside from the 4-0 Cardiff win, which doesn't make me feel a whole lot better about the squad). Anyway, Henry has been gone for a while now, but it's times like these that Arsenal miss him. Any team would miss someone who was one of the best in the world in his prime. Just watch this video I stumbled upon the other day, and listen to the ridiculous song. Awesome.



On the plus side, it's good to see the defense playing more assuredly. Almunia has been better in goal, but he still hasn't shown the steadiness of last season. The successful but short-lived return of Eduardo was nice. Hopefully, he comes back soon. Arshavin's performance in his first game as a Gunner showed a hint of things to come (once he gets in top shape). And knowing that Fabregas, Walcott, Adebayor and Rosicky come back from injury soon also provides a positive outlook.

So it's not all bad I guess. I'm just hoping it doesn't get any worse. I'm looking forward to getting to see the Champions League game against Roma tonight, but I'm worried that we'll struggle to find ways to score. Without Arshavin and the injured bunch, it could shape up to be a typically disappointing 2008/09 Arsenal game but I'm trying to think more positively than that...

In other news, my second favorite soccer team, Valencia, is struggling over in La Liga. Like Arsenal, they're sitting in fifth place and threatening to fall further away from Champions League contention. Like Arsenal, they are losing and tying games they should win. Like Arsenal, they have injury problems and a general lack of roster depth. Like Arsenal, they can't seem to score on a regular basis. Like Arsenal, they are missing passion and urgency as we approach the end of the season. Like Arsenal, there are issues higher up in the club, with the Board and with the President. Like Arsenal, they have a few promising young, inexperienced players that questionably sit the best behind shaky veterans. The similarities are kind of eerie.

What makes matters worse here than with Arsenal, is that in addition to issues on the pitch, Valencia is in utter financial ruins. They just announced that they will rent out the stadium for parties and events, and have the players make appearances for an extra fee. Do the players want to do that? Some of them do. Why? Because the players haven't been paid in weeks!!! How can we expect two of Spain's best players, David Villa and David Silva, to stay with a team that doesn't win and doesn't pay their salaries? There are new rumors every day that one or both of them are linked with moves to bigger, more stable clubs and I can't blame them if they jump ship this summer.

I hate to say it, but if Valencia loses those players I might not follow the team anymore. Now, I haven't been a Valencia fan for that long. Truth be told, I started following them after seeing Silva play a few excellent games for Spain last year and I jumped on Villa's bandwagon around that time as well. Being a "young" Valencia fan whose initial interest in the team was the Davids, can I be blamed for turning my back on the team if and when they leave? The answer from most people's perspective is "yes" and I don't in turn blame them for thinking that. I'm just a rare breed of sports fan, but I am a fan even if people think otherwise. For now, I'm hoping Valencia can keep this season alive, avoid selling Villa and Silva, and get back to their winning form from a few years back. Like Arsenal.

No comments: