Monday, April 6, 2009

Like A Boss



When I watched this on SNL yesterday, I wasn't impressed. I thought it wasn't that great but now, I'm not so sure... After a couple repeated listens/viewings, I think it's pretty great actually. Like I mentioned before, the Lonely Island guys are taking ridiculous braggadocio one step further (and in this case taking it literally as well) and it's awesome. Clearly, the Digital Short songs are just music satire and good music satire too. While sometimes the actual jokes in the satire can be hit or miss, the execution and intent are usually solid. "Like A Boss" might not be up there with "Dick In A Box" or "I'm On A Boat", but it was easily in the top two sketches of the relatively unfunny Seth Rogen SNL.


In case you didn't know, "Like A Boss" is based on Slim Thug's "Like A Boss" (not to mention dozens of other songs, including every single song in Rick Ross' catalog):



Maybe I should save this for a separate rant but how stupid is Universal Music Group? They have a ton of content on Youtube but none of it is embeddable. Don't they realize that when people embed videos more people will be able to see those videos, thus generating more awareness of artists and songs? Aren't music videos made for promotional purposes? It's not like they're cashing in on sales of music videos and they're trying to avoid bootlegging. Why not allow embeds? I seriously don't understand this...

... I just did a quick check and found this link. Apparently, I had jumped to the wrong conclusion by assuming it was all Universal's fault, when it's Youtube's fault too. While there isn't a really clear source of this information, Peter Kafka and All Things Digital seem pretty credible, and everything on the Internet is true. But yeah, I think they should put their heads together and come up with a solution to allow embeds. It would be beneficial for both parties and far less annoying for me.

No comments: