Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Put Me On Blast



Like a lot of folks, sometimes I think Jordan could be more philanthropic. Well, part of me anyway. I mean, he can do whatever he wants with his time and money. Who am I to judge? On the other hand, he does have a lot of money... And influence... Anyway,I won't get into now because I'm too lazy to put any thoughts together. Just watch the video. Jordan looks uncomfortable after Sir Charles "puts him on blast", as the kids say.

By the way, Barkley is awesome. (MJ is too but Charles is in another league.) In addition to countless hilarious and insightful quotes, this excerpt from his book, which I haven't read in its entirety, stood out and proved Barkley is more than just a guy who runs his mouth:

"... I'm not overly concerned about people disagreeing with me. I'm concerned with the response in that I want to get people talking, get the discussion started. I'm going to say what's on my mind. Dan Patrick of ESPN, who I like very much, introduced me once as 'Charles Barkley, who makes you think, makes you mad, but sometimes doesn't think before he talks.' And I said, 'Hey, wait a minute. I know exactly what I'm saying. I may say something some people consider controversial or outrageous, but I've thought about it before I said it.' I always know what I'm saying, and I'm always prepared for the reaction."

You may not agree with everything he says but you have to respect someone who makes controversial (and sometimes ridiculous) statements and is willing to stand behind them.

No comments: