Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm A Bathing Ape Fanatic, Red Monkey Junky



Condé Nast Portfolio did a pretty interesting profile on Nigo and A Bathing Ape. The article focused on the business side of things, as was to be expected, but it also touched on Nigo and his relationship with the Japanese fashion industry. I knew Nigo was a huge nerd and a recluse but I didn't realize people in the industry thought so negatively of him. Even Hiroshi Fujiwara, the man responsible for the name "Nigo" was accusing him of falling off. I wonder if this will stir up streetwear beef because of Fujiwara's words. (I'm definitely joking but Nigo and HF are the Biggie and Pac of Japanese streetwear fashion. Well, based on their longevity, maybe Nas and Jay-Z are a better example...)

It would have been nice to get a fresh look at the Bape phenomenom (sure, it initially gained popularity through word of mouth but I still wonder exactly how/why that worked out so well) but I guess that story's been told before. I just think it's crazy how Nigo has been able to keep the exclusive feel around his company when it has clearly grown into a well-known brand. I guess he had a vision, something he focused on from day one and that has allowed him to keep people interested in what he has to offer. I just think what he has been able to create and achieve is incredible.

Lastly, I found it amazing how a company that's worth upwards of a billion dollars is supposedly on the verge of selling out. You know your company's big time when "selling out" means opening more international stores. Damn...

Read it.

No comments: