Thursday, January 3, 2008

That's How It Starts...

Last month, Jamie hosted a little mix CD party so a few of us could showcase our favorite songs of 2007. I wouldn't say my CD was made up of my absolute favorites of last year but these songs were definitely up there. Here's my tracklist and some notes:


1. LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends

Almost everything written about this song is true. It's probably in my Top 2 or 3 of the year. I can't explain why I like it so much because I suck at writing but there's just a feeling about it. I love the way it builds up in the beginning and just drops off at the end.

2. M.I.A. - Paper Planes

M.I.A. is actually singing on this song, as opposed to yelling/whining. She sounds really good but I'm pretty sure I'd like this song no matter who sang over it... within reason. That being said, I can't imagine anyone doing it much better.

3. Wale and Catchdubs - W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E.

Almost four minutes of fast rapping about streetwear and being awesome, with references to Lindsay Lohan and Saved By the Bell.

4. Dizzee Rascal - Bubbles

I like all of Dizzee's albums but I especially like finally being able to understand what he's saying on Maths + English. Almost...

5. UGK - Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You) (Feat. OutKast)

I love these things: Andre's "too soon, don't do it!" line, the way the beat knocks in at the start of Pimp C's verse, Pimp C's whole verse, the "whooaa-oo wailing, the stuttering drums at the start of Bun B's verse, sneaking in some screwed and chopped even though no one actually likes the screwed and chopped sound. Also, I think this is the best video of the year.

6. Kanye West - Flashing Lights (Ft. Dwele)

Probably the stand out track on Graduation. "Straight from the page of your favorite author."

7. Lupe Fiasco - Can You Let Me Know (Feat. Verbal & Sarah Green)

This is off a Deckstream mixtape that I can't seem to find online. This may be true for every rapper but Lupe just sounds so much better over good beats (and if you have a decent set-up, this one knocks). Verbal is the trilingual Japanese rapper in m-flo (see next track) who drops some Transformers-related lyrics in the second verse.

8. m-flo - Summer Time Love/♡日之内エミ & Ryohei

When I got back from Japan, I started compiling a mini-collection of Japanese music that included almost the entire m-flo catalog. It's mostly electronica-leaning pop rap. If the Japanese Grammy's have a Best Rap/Sung Collaboration catagory, m-flo probably have had a few nominations. I don't even know if the Japanese Grammy's exist.

9. Amerie - Take Control

Amerie's latest album hasn't been released in the US yet and I don't know why. She doesn't quite have the pipes as some other R&B ladies but she has made some really good songs. The Cee-Lo produced Take Control was probably my favorite girl R&B song of 2007, better than "to the left, to the left" and on the level of "umb-er-ella, ella ella ay ay".

10. The Pipettes - It Hurts To See You Dance So Well

I grew up on oldies and I like indie pop. Of course I'm going to like this group. Musically, lyrically and vocally, they're not doing anything new. I can't tell if they're really paying homage to girl groups or just ripping them off but I don't really care either.

11. Feist - I Feel It All

This is my favorite song on the album, next to 1234. Side note: We discussed the Shins and Garden State at the Mixtape Party but I didn't really chime in. Now, partially wanting to stir up debate, why do people hold GS against the Shins when Feist is hawking iPods? I like Garden State. I like the Shins. I like Feist and I like iPods too. I think I just view over-exposure and selling out in an entirely different way than most people who "care" about music. Maybe so.

12. Iron & Wine - Flightless Bird, American Mouth

Now that Sam Beam has proven he can make great songs with a full band and lush instrumentation, does anyone else want him to go back to his whispy-vocaled, stripped down songs like this one?

13. Bat For Lashes - Prescilla

The video for "What's A Girl To Do?" reminds me of Donnie Darko.

14. Kenna - Baptized In Blacklight

Solid pop rock produced by Chad Hugo of the Neptunes.

15. MONKEY MAJIK - 卒業、そして未来へ。

I tried to find an American equivalent of MONKEY MAJIK but I can't seem to find one. This will sound awful but they're sort of a Japanese version of Maroon 5, who sing more ballads, whine considerably less, utilize harmonies, rap occasionally and suck less. Yup, that sounds awful. Oh well. Also, notice that Japanese bands have this weird love/hate relationship with capital letters.

16. T.I. - Help Is Coming

T.I. vs. T.I.P. was only a let down in that I wanted it to be the album of the year. It started out on shakey ground because an alter-ego concept album is never a way to push your music to the next level. My list at the moment: T.I., Kanye, OutKast, Lyrics Born, Jay-Z, MF DOOM Ghostface, NaS. List subject to change...

7. Jay-Z - Say Hello

Beeeeiiiiitch!!

18. Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - The Lost Brigade

I've put this song on the end of a couple mixes this year because I like listening to the beat ride out...

I'll try to post more links later...

No comments: