Monday, June 11, 2007

I Know a Girl, She Puts the Color Inside of My World

Check out this video of John Mayer and Kanye West:



A few observations:
- John Mayer's head is 'uuuuuge!! I mean, physically... I know he's about 6'4" and large people have large heads, but still...
- Kanye has been saying "stuntastic" a lot in recent interviews. I wonder if it's the thesaurus next to "fergilicious" and "hyphy".
- In an interview with Mayer a while back, I remember reading about him trying out stand-up comedy. His agent and manager were thinking it was a bad idea but I think he's actually pretty funny. Even though he's obviously one of those smug, intelligent types, I can't say I didn't laugh.
- The song actually sounds pretty good but I still think Graduation has a decent chance of flopping. On his first album, he came in on a huge wave of hype with "Through the Wire" and the car accident; people weren't impressed with "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" (until Hova tore up the remix) but he still had the Jon Brion collaboration hype, the "Gold Digger" single and "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People"; this upcoming album doesn't seem to have that sort of fire behind it. Even with all the John Mayer and Chris Martin talk (and Jon Brion again) I am skeptical. Maybe all the the John Mayer and Chris Martin talk is what's making me skeptical. Who knows? I hope it is great but as a fan, I'm mildy concerned...
- Finally, John Mayer is the singer-songwriter version of Justin Timberlake. Like JT, he started off doing the teeny bopper pop bit, moved on to more mature themes gaining some street cred along the way, dated a pop star who isn't as hot as people tend to believe, starred in some well-received sketch comedy skits and managed to overcome the fact that he's just a big nerd. I don't know where his incredible ability to shred a blues lick comes into play though... Maybe it's equivalent to Justin's dancing? I don't know... I'm just waiting for him to carry a crappy movie in a supporting role (as JT supposedly did in Alpha Dog).

1 comment:

fourpoints said...

i don't know if i like the song...but john mayer is funny...

also, i don't think i have a uuuge dome, and i am a large man...