Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Need A Dollar



Here are the excellent opening credits to HBO's new show, How To Make It In America. The show centers on two guys trying to start their own high-end denim company and I've really enjoyed the first couple episodes. At first, I described it as the anti-Entourage but it is more like Entourage with hustle. I think I'll wait for a couple more episodes to air before I write a full-on review but the show has potential to be really good, even if I can already see its weaknesses.

A small side-story on the show deals with the two main characters' past attempt and failure to sell their Wilfredo Gomez pro model skateboard decks. While it was just glossed over in the show up to this point, a large part of their inability to move the decks was that Wilfredo is crazy and he doesn't even skate anymore. HBO made this long and somewhat unnecessary documentary about the history of Wilfredo Gomez. I say it's unnecessary because it's not exactly interesting or integral to the story. Mainly, it gives HBO some street cred by interviewing several pro skateboarders and other New Yorkers that are in that scene.



1 comment:

Matthew said...

I watched part of an episode of this the other night, and I think you're right - this looks good.