Monday, June 23, 2008

Play Your Part



I think Girl Talk exists for the egoes of music snobs. Even more than giving indie hipster kids a chance to dance, GT gives music fans even more reason to pat each other on the back. Nerds and elitests are already all over the "name game" for Feed The Animals which came out online recently, Radiohead-style. I chose to pay $10 since I got his last album for zero dollars (and because I want the CD when it becomes available).

It's not as immediately likable as the excellent Night Ripper but I'm guessing it'll be a real grower. He's using more classic rock and pop tracks this time around (or at least he's putting them in the forefront more, I think) and it doesn't disappoint. After about one and a half listens, a few highlights so far: Jackson 5 over the Umbrella drums, ODB over Autumn Sweater, No Diggity and Flashing Lights (I'm down with that beat no matter what), Roc Boys and Radiohead, Kelly Clarkson over Quad City; also, appearances by The Band, Tom Petty, Paula Cole, Looking Glass, Chicago, Rick Astley and Journey (with some thump!). Amazing stuff, really. And I admit, it is fun listening to it while checking the samples on the Wiki page.

No comments: